General Rules on Instrument Care
- The instruments must NEVER be left unattended without being placed in standby mode.
- The consequence(s) for an instrument, if left in run mode, will be the introduction of air into the system leading to dry fluidics and a damaged flow cell, especially if the UV laser is left on (say goodbye to replicating experimental stability).
- Instruments are to be turned off after all appointments, regardless if there are bookings on Book My Lab, unless you are directly contacted by the next user booked.
- If a user is not on time for their appointment they should not expect to see that an instrument has been left on for them.
- If you cancel an after-hours appointment it is still your responsibility to ensure that the flow cytometers have been shut down. Do this by emailing the flow cytometry facility (during daytime working hours) and/or the user scheduled before you to let them know you will not be present for your appointment.
- When the analyzers are not in use, the lasers should always be switched to OFF before you begin the cleaning procedure.
- The clean-up procedure is now composed of the following:
- Switch all lasers to OFF in BD Coherent Connection.
- Run a tube of BD FACSClean (bleach) for 5 minutes.
- Run a tube of BD FACSRinse (detergent) for 5 minutes.
- Run a tube of distilled water for 5 minutes.
- Ensure the waste container is emptied and refilled with 800mL of bleach.
- Ensure the sheath tank is refilled to the line.
- Power off the flow cytometer.
Every month, the facility staff performs a data cleanup in BD FACSDiva™, removing data from accounts where it was left in the software. In cases where data needs to be removed from an individual’s account, a 15-minute operator charge of $22.50 will be added to your PI’s account for each cytometer. It is important to note that this fee can be easily avoided by simply deleting your own data.
Intro to Flow
Work Around Very Talented People
Meet the friendly and diverse team that keeps the University of Toronto Flow Cytometry Facility running on a day-to-day basis.